Due to continued vandalism the SkatePark will be closed until further notice. If you have any questions please call The Madison Arts Barn at 203-245-2689.
Are you looking for Daddy Daughter pictures or the winning SuperBowl Commercial Competition videos. How about building a Dream Box, learning to skateboard or do you want to solve a Murder Mystery? Check out all that is going on now at the Arts Barn. For details on events check out past posts.
1. Daddy Daughter Dance Pictures for both sessions are now posted.
2. 2012 Super Bowl Commercial Competition Winners and videos are now posted.
5th & 6th Grade Winner – Kevin Lariviere – The Magic Tube
6th & 7th Grade Winner – Sean Marrinan – Doritos Addiction
High School Winner – Nina Donoghue & Zoe Makoul – Thinking
3. Adventures in Wood – Sponsored by Madison Youth & Family Services and the Arts Barn – 8-week program, beginning
March 29th changed to April 12th where participants explore their personal and community goals while building and decorating Dream Boxes.
4. Creative Creations – Monday evenings beginning April 2nd at the Arts Barn. Come help us create our next big event. Help with decoration and sets. Creative skill is appreciated but not necessary. Currently working on building the town of Cactus Gulch for the Murder Mystery Dinner.
5. Skate Camp for beginners – Week of April
2nd (changed to April 9th) come learn the basics of skateboarding.
6. Magic Card Tournament – April 2nd – Open to High School Students.
7. Poetry Slam/Coffee House – Co-Sponsored with the Scranton Library –
April 7th (postponed date TBA.)
8. 6th Grade Dance – April 13th – 7-10 PM
9. Skate Workshops for Intermediate Skaters – Tuesday and Thursdays beginning April 24th for two weeks.
10. Murder Mystery Dinner – April 28th from 6:00 – 8:30 PM. Come visit Cactus Gulch and help us find who killed Dusty Jones, the owner of the goldmine. Community event open to everyone!
11. 7th & 8th Grade Dance – May 4th – 7-10 PM
12. Kid’s Energy Expo – Come join us to experience a day exploring. Exhibits include; make your own smoothie, make your own trial mix, yoga, karate, dream interpretation, chair massage, personal training, Didgeridoo, Skateboarding, Shaman power animals, reflexology, angel card reading and more.
13. 4th of July Parade Float – May 13th – 3-5 PM – Informational Meeting
14. 6th Grade Dance – May 25th – 7-10 PM
Any questions or if you want to get involved let us know. Hope to see you at the Barn soon!
Come learn the finer points of skating from two of our best skateboarding instructors, Johnnie Wilson and James Munro. This four day series is for those skaters who already have a handle on getting around on a board, but want to improve their skills and learn how to approach the more difficult maneuvers. (Our park is now a skate-at-your-own risk park that is open from sun-up to sun-down. It will be closed during these sessions to everyone outside this class to ensure each skater is given the individual space and attention required for success.)
- Tuesdays and Thursday, April 24th, 26th, May 1st, & 3rd — afternoons from 4:00 to 5:30*
- Cost $150** for all four sessions
- Space is limited to 10
- Helmets and Pads are required!
* rain dates with be arranged **$40 per day
The Friends of Madison Youth are very excited to once again be offering lessons for wanna-be skaters on our skatepark . This 5 day “school” will be held the week of April 2nd though the 6th, 2012 from 4:00pm to 5:30pm. Two of our most experienced skaters, who have both taught for us in the past, will be working together to provide each new skater with a basic understanding of art of skateboarding. Emphasis will be placed on safety and helmets/pads are required! They will be starting from the ground up, but will gear the lessons to suit each child’s ability levels.
- Week of Monday April
2nd9th through Friday April 6th13th, 2012
- Instruction will take place from 4:00pm until 5:30pm (Park will be open until sun-down)
- Instructors: Johnny Wilson and James Munro
- Cost is $150* (PayPal on this site under “Buy Event Tickets”) or $35/day (pay in-person only)
- Space is limited to 12
- Age 6 and up
- Must have a skateboard, helmet, and pads
*$10 discount for siblings
Please call the Arts Barn if you have questions; 203-245-2689
Madison college and high school students lead by Charlie Stemen have recently been working hard on giving the Madison Arts Barn Skate Park a facelift.
With support and donated paint by the Friends of Madison Youth Board, Charlie, his brother Nate, and a number of their friends have repainted the whole park with a graffiti style paint job. James Munro has also been tearing down the dilapidated park features and taking care of overgrown weeds and leaf piles.
The spruce up was initiated by Charlie Stemen who wrote a letter to the FMY Board and was later invited to a FMY Board meeting. The Board approved the project and a skateboard and video editing camp that Charlie proposed to run in August. The cleanup is in anticipation of the camp. Take a look at the pictures to give you an example of their creative works.